Shirovasthi is the procedure wherein the medicated oil is retained on the head for a prescribed period by a special arrangement. It is highly indicated in vata and pitta aggravated conditions.
- Headaches of vathika in nature
- Degenerative brain disorders (masthishka Apachayam)
- Motor neuron disease, Cerebral palsy
- Cerebral lesions, Epilepsy insanity (apasmaram & unmadam)
- Mental diseases, Vataja Karna Rogam
- Common cold, Fever
- Masthishka avarana shopham
- Nethra rogam
- Kapha, Pithaja Karnarogam
- Bathing, Full stomach, hyperacidity
- Urdhwa gatha Raktha Pitha
Shiro Basti is very beneficial in all ailments related to the head region and favourable for sense organs as discussed below
Brain: Improves memory and mental abilities, helpful in cranial nerve disorders, stress and neurological disorders.
- Head: Scalp dryness, hair loss, headache, burning sensation of scalp and other diseases of skull.
- Face: Facial paralysis, leave a remarkable lustre and glow on face.
- Skin: Shiro basti makes skin soft and shiny.
- Others: Insomnia, sleeplessness, skin disorders such as eczema & psoriasis.