The word Udwarthanam is a combined of two words (Urdhwa + Varthanam) the word Urdhwa refers as Upward and the other word Varthanam means to move. It has got its name “Udwartanam” as in this massage stroke performed in an upward movement or in another word elevation.
Udwartana is an herbal scrubbing massage technique in Ayurveda. It helps in removing excess fat and toxins from the body tissues. In this technique, herbal powders or pastes are being used to give a forceful massage in the direction opposite to that of the hair follicles (pratiloma gati).
Benefits of Udwartana
- relieves kapha associated disorders
- breaks down and mobilizes accumulated fat
- relieves body dour due to excessive sweating
- improves skin tone and also smoothens and cleanses it
- provides stability to body parts
- relieves itching and rejuvenates the skin
- removes heaviness of body
- enhances metabolism in the body
- opens up blocked channels in the body and improves blood circulation
Indications of Udwartana:
- Obesity and associated complaints
- Metabolic disorders
- Diabetes mellitus
- Neuropathy associated with diabetes
- Lethargy and lack of enthusiasm
- As poorvakarma (preparatory therapy)for Pancakarma treatments
- Neuro muscular disorders
- Kapha and Aama related complaints etc.